Review of previous steps
The step by step is a little bit different – a child theme is now available:
- WordPress 3.0 installation
- Check that theme “twentyten” is in theme folder and add theme “twentyten-xili” :
For xili-language 2.1.x, You must use updated twentyten-xili-v1.1 of twentyten-xili.
twentyten-xili theme 1.0 for xili-language 220.127.116.11
downloadable here (45kB) [Updated v 0.9.9 + japanese]. Twentyten-xili must be set as current theme like here in this website
- Add the file .po and .mo of target languages (here fr_FR, de_DE and es_ES)
Can be found in sub-folder languages of theme’s folder named twentyten of each kit as below.
COPY the .mo and .po files for each languages in sub-folfer ‘langs’ of CHILD theme twentyten-xili (the original will not be modified).
The theme folder will be similar to this:
- Enabling plugins Xili-language (choice of languages) and Xili-dictionary
- Creating a category – such as “Actualités” then “News” and its description (“Recent news about website) BECAUSE the pivot language is English.
- Writing of one or two articles in French and / or English – we will learn to link if their content is the translation – adaptation of the other.
- Adding widgets Xili-specific language – settings…
- Customizing the new menu system of the header (wp_nav_menu)
- Contents of Navigation menu
- Tags and plugin Xili-tidy-tags.
Steps 1 to 6 are easy, but we will spend time at step 4 and 6. The sixth because there are some useful tips for authors in multilingual context.
The screenshot are done during this current article – the first in english and his translation in french.
Because, I currently write the both version, I will open a new tab in the browser by clicking Add New at french line in Linked posts box at left (I use right button of the mouse and select ‘Open link in new tab’) .
In the new tab, we see that all box at left are set. French title is added and body text…
After full editing and saving, when post displayed as single the terms around this are translated according language of the displayed post.
At next step, we will see how to complete the translation for terms as in categories or menus or description…